A gradient in reference to photo shopping is the process by which a user is able to achieve a transition between two colors. This might be between two almost contrasting color to the very extreme of black and white.
On the other hand a gradient tool is a tool by which when used it is able to create a seamless blend between two colors. Layer in reference to photo shopping refers to two or more sheets of a transparent material staked together similar to laying pieces of glass on top of each other .Layer masking in itself is just concealing or hiding all or part of a layer(s) that have been applied to an image. Below is an in-depth step by step analysis on how to use gradient tools for layer mask.
- Select an image.
Choose any image relevant from your files.
- Then in order to duplicate the layers of an image press the control key then the letter j, CTRL+j.
This is specifically for those using windows and an Adobe photo Editor.
iii. After doing this it is advisable you give the layer a name in order to organize your work.
The background layer you created earlier remains locked at this point. Therefore you cannot give it a new name.
In addition to this one might desire to change the name. To do this just double click on the name and as soon as it is highlighted type in the new name. In this case I will call my layer image A
- Next, choose and select the layer image A. The go to filter on to filter graphic and then later to sketch .Afterwards click on the icon for the image. Now to the top most right hand corner of the filter gallery one can see several image filter settings.
From this settings you could choose and apply the filters you want for your image.
In case point to image A I would choose to set light to dark balance at 56 and its stroke direction to the right having a stroke length of about 12.after doing this you click on the yes or okay on the preview
- After making changes to the top layer in filter, we start to employ the use of a layer mask.
To do this you go to the layer option then layer mask after which you then click on reveal all. Just beside the layer one will see a white image and an icon in between them. The link icon shows the layer A is linked to its image.
- After which you now press the letter D on your keyboard. It sets both the background and foreground to the color black and white which is the default color. Next we go to the tool bar and click on the gradient tool.
vii. This now reveals a new tool bar, click on the specific color you desire in the color ranges and make sure that color is present in the first drop box. The order for this is from foreground going all the way to background.
viii. After doing this go back to the white piece of palette next to our layered image and click on it and not the actual layer image A, This is to ensure we apply gradient not the actual contents of the layer but to its mask.
- Subsequently drag the cursor from any comer of the image you so wish, up to almost the center of the picture. This now shows the variance of different layers underneath used to create the image. Showing the various transitions up to where they are now hidden by the top layer.
How do we create a layer to an image?
Check our content first part.
After clicking on the gradient tool and making the various adjustments where do we apply then?
After doing this go back to the white piece of palette next to our layered image and click on it and not the actual layer image A, This is to ensure we apply gradient not the actual contents of the layer but to its mask.
Try varying step 9 severally from different corners of the image what do you see?
you can check this.
How do we change the name to a layer image?
When you save your file,just go to save as and give your desire name.
Thank you for reading this article and don’t forget to subscribe. Thank you!